I baked this cake for my own birthday! It fed about 10 people. It was moist and chocolate-y. Note: Don't be alarmed with the thin batter. It only makes the cake more moist. It will make a two 9" tin cakes. If you are not sure of the size of the tins, just fill the tins/pans/moulds 60% with the batter. Give some room for the cake to rise.
For the Ganache
- Set the oven at 175 degree c. Grease the tins with butter and dust it with some flour. Keep them aside. You can also use parchment paper.Take a bowl, sift and mix all dry(flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt) ingredients. Keep it aside.
- In a large bowl mix all liquid ingredients except hot water (eggs, milk, oil and vanilla). Give it a good stir.Add the mixed dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients' bowl. Mix well with a whisk.Now add the hot water and use a wooden spoon / spatula to mix everything well. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the greased pans. Put them in pre-heated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes. Use a fork or tooth pick to check of the cake is done.
- The tooth pick should come out clean. If it does not then put it back in the oven till it cooks. This may depend on the kind of oven you are using.
- Take them out of the oven immediately once they are done and let them cool for 10 minutes. Now take them out of the tins and let them cool on the rack for an hour at least before frosting.
- For the Ganache:In a bowl, heat the cream in microwave for 3 minutes. Add chocolate pieces and butter to the heated cream and let it stand for 10-15 minutes. Stir to smooth texture of the ganache. If you still see bits of chocolate, put it back in the microwave for another minute or so.
- Now let this cool for at least half hour. Add honey and stir well. You will end up with a nice, thick, smooth, dark, gleaming chocolate ganache.
- Stacking the cake:Put one layer of the cake on your serving platter. Spread 1/4th of the ganache on the cake and spread it evenly. Place the second layer upside down, on the first layer, for the perfect flat surface.
- Now slather the rest of the ganache to cover the whole cake. Decorate it with shards of dark chocolate. Slice and eat it right away. If you are patient enough refrigerate it for 30 minutes for firmness. ;) Tastes great either ways :D